Member of the World Federation of International Music Competition
and the Alink – Argerich Foundation
Supported by the Ministry of Culture of the Slovak Republic
Bratislava, Slovak Republic
18 – 23 September, 2017
Prof. Marian Lapšanský
JOHANN NEPOMUK HUMMEL
Johann Nepomuk Hummel (1778-1837), a native of Bratislava, was considered to be one of the Europe´s greatest composers and pianists in his lifetime. He studied with Mozart, Albrechtsberger, Salieri and Haydn. As a composer Hummel stands on the borderline between epochs. His work embraced virtually all the genres at the turn of century (except of symphony) and he is an outstanding representative in writing of virtuoso piano music. Stylistically, Hummel´s music connects classical with many proto-Romantic elements. As one of the most renowned representatives of late Classicism, be developed the styles of Clementi, Mozart and Beethoven and portends those of Schubert, Mendelssohn, Chopin, early Liszt and Schumann.
The International Johann Nepomuk Hummel Piano Competition would like to keep in memory the message of this great composer and piano virtuoso. At the same time it is the wish of the organizers that this competition will be the starting point of artistic careers of remarkable pianists.
- COMPETITION RULES
- The Competition is open to pianists of all nationalities born after 18 September 1985.
- Deadline for sending the applications is 31 May 2017 (the post stamp is decisive).
Applications are received by: Mrs. Slávka Ferencová, Executive Manager,
International Johann Nepomuk Hummel Piano Competition,
Medená 3,816 01 Bratislava, Slovak Republic.
- The following documents are to be enclosed with the application form:
- two recent photographs (300dpi) 9×13 or 10×15 cm suitable for reproduction,
- the copy about payment of the enrollment fee 70 € to the bank account of:
Medená 3, 816 01 Bratislava,
The name and address of the bank:
STATNA POKLADNICA, Radlinského 32
810 05 Bratislava, Slovak RepublicSWIFT: SPSRSKBAXXX
IBAN: SK95 8180 0000 0070 0007 0107
Slovenská filharmónia, Medená 3, 916 01 Bratislava
Variable symbol: (date of birth) ddmmyyyy
The banking fees related to the transfer of the enrolment fee shall be paid by the candidate.
Otherwise the application will be neglected.
- The candidate´s identity and age will be verified before the opening of the competition.
- On 17 September 2017 lots will be drawn to set the order of the contestants. In the case of a participant´s absence, a member of the Competition Secretary will draw the lot instead of him/her.
- The competition will be organized in three rounds: max. 14 candidates will pass from round one to round two and 3 candidates will pass from round two to round three
- The repertoire on the application form is obligatory
- The entire programme (except the Hummel´s Septet) has to be played by memory. In case of high number of participants the jury is entitled to reduce the programme of the 1st stage.
- The following main prizes will be awarded to winners of the 7th International Johann Nepomuk Hummel Piano Competition (in Euros): 1st prize – Eur 5.000 (and three concerts in Slovakia), 2nd prize – Eur 3.000, 3rd prize – Eur 2.000.
The winners of the main prizes get at the same time entitled the Competition Laureats. Besides that, some other special prizes announced before the beginning of the competition may be awarded.
- The jury will consist of significant Slovak and international artists and pedagogues, with a majority of international jurors. The results of the competition will be announced publicly following the Competition finals on 23 September 2017 with the festive awarding of the prizes. The decision of the Jury is final.
- The Jury is entitled not to award certain prizes, to join or divide them. 1st prize cannot be shared.
- The competitor agrees that his/her performance may be recorded by Radio, TV and transmitted by internet. The shots can be used to promote the Competition or its laureates at noncommercial base.
- Competition performances are not anonymous and they are accessible to public.
- If requested, accommodation will be reservated by the Secretariat of the Competition.
a) a sonata by W. A. Mozart
b) an etude by J. N. Hummel
c) an etude by F. Chopin
d) an etude by F. Liszt or A. Skryabin or S. Rakhmaninoff
Recital consisting works from at least two different style periods. The work from the previous stage shall not repeat.
Duration of Stage II: 45 minutes.
a) J. N. Hummel: Piano Septet in D minor, Op. 74
b) one of the following concerts:
W. A. Mozart – F major, K. 459, E flat major K. 482,
C major K. 503, B flat major K. 595
L. van Beethoven: C major Op. 15, C minor Op. 37, G major Op. 58
F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy: G minor, Op. 25, D minor, Op. 40
J. N. Hummel: A minor Op. 85
Pavel Gililov Germany
Andrea Bonatta Italy
Eva Cahová Slovak Republic
Martin Kasík Czech Republic
Marian Lapšanský Slovak Republic
Elisso Virsaladze Georgia
Andrey Yaroshinsky Russia
Yu NITAHARA (Japan)
Kana ITO (Japan)
Tatiana DOROKHOVA (Russia)
Special Petronius company award for the best Slovak pianist: Miloš BIHÁRY.
Photogallery: International Johann Nepomuk Hummel Piano Competition Laureates, photo Jan F. Lukáš
9. Application form Download here [PDF]
9. Flyer To Download here [PDF]